Sherwood Forest Land Acquisitions
(This does not include lots conserved through the Green Areas Acquisition Fund.)
Since 2019, Sherwood Forest Friends has accepted the donation of or facilitated the purchase of nine lots which were subsequently accepted into Sherwood Forest Green Areas. These acquisitions provide wildlife habitat; allow for expanded Forest trails; protect native plants, geological features, and watershed; and preserve otherwise ecologically significant land.
- August, 2021 – 39 A on Turkey Run is presently owned by Sherwood Forest Friends. A Sherwood Forest resident donated the funds for purchase and SFF is awaiting a positive vote at the December meeting of the HOA. At that time it will be transferred to the HOA to become Green Area.
- July, 2021 – F-11 near the Little River, is “flagpole” lot, approximately 2 acres in size. This interior lot shares a common boundary with 10 other lots. A Sherwood Forest resident donated the funds to Sherwood Forest Friends to purchase F-11 for the purpose of adding it to SFHA Green Area. The resolution to accept the donation as Green Area was approved at the June meeting of the HOA with 94.2% in favor.
- June 2021 – FR2 & FR13 on Feed Rock were donated by George Short, creating a green corridor on the corner of Cardinal, Oriole and Feed Rock and a connection with the upper end of Feed Rock. The resolution to accept the donation as Green Area was approved at the December meeting of the HOA with 98.8% in favor.
- June 2021 – B22 on Cardinal Road, donated by Jane Kimball, includes a rocky water feature and expands adjacent Green Area across from the south end of Frazier Road. The resolution to accept the donation as Green Area was approved at the December meeting of the HOA with 99.4% approval.
- December 2020 – A1R4, a gorgeous corridor lot across from the basketball court on the corner of Nottingham and Robin Hood was purchased and donated by Bebbie McCary in honor of her partner, Sid Schwager. whose dream was to buy all undeveloped lots for Green Area. A stream on the rear of the property is now protected and adjacent Green Area was expanded. The resolution to accept the donation as Green Area was approved at the December meeting of the HOA with 92.43% in favor.
- December 2020 – Lot C37, along Frazier Road, close to White Oak Terrace, was donated by Sandra Snyder and Greg Whitehair. This gorgeous fern filled corner lot, could allow for expansion of Tanager Trail. In December 2020, 91.87% of HOA voted to accept this donated lot as Green Area.
- December 2020 The Bridges and Swanson families led a charge to acquire the Trexler property (SAT X). This ecologically rich 1.72 acre lot on Nottingham Road includes a bog and stream that borders a significant portion of Trout Lake. Over 100 Forest homeowners and friends contributed towards purchasing the property. The trail, Muskrat Run, is on this property. In December 2020, 93.35% of HOA members voted to accept this lot as Green Area.
- June 2020 – Libby and Jerry Brown organized neighbors to purchase and donate a topographically challenging lot on Butternut SH2). (The adjacent lot (SH1) was purchased by SFHOA Green Areas Acquisition Fund.) The LeBow family sold these lots at below-market value to insure they stay green. These properties abut and expand the existing 265 Green Area.
- June 2020 – K11 on Oriole was added to Green Area. This property, donated by Norm Talbot, adjoins the existing Green Area encompassing New Feedrock Trail and Sherwood Overlook.
- December 2019 – Lot D30 was the first conservation purchase through Sherwood Forest Friends. The lot on Cardinal Road offers access to Tar Heel Lake and was acquired by neighbors. The resolution to accept the donation as Green Area was approved at the December meeting of the HOA with 93.8% in favor.
= Lots Conserved by Sherwood Forest Friends